Now Available For Preorder
This item is expected to ship 4-6 weeks after the event on October 25, 2019.
- DVD Video - 2-4 hours Instructions
- Multi-disc DVD recording with electronic manual and instructions.
- PAUL BRASLER, MA, MSW, LCSW
- PESI Inc.
- 10/25/2019 - Available Now for Pre-Order
- CE Available:
- Yes, See CE credit tab for complete continuing education details
- Product Code:
- Learn the signs and symptoms of stimulant misuse and how to identify them in your clients.
- Understand the wide variety of stimulants, including the differences between legal and illicit stimulants.
- Develop an understanding of the lived experience of stimulant addiction and why it is so difficult to stop using cocaine, methamphetamine (and even caffeine).
- Become proficient at selecting the right treatment for your clients struggling with stimulant misuse.
The Scope and Extent of the Problem
The Neurobiology of Stimulant Use
- Epidemiology and trends
- What are people using?
- “Bath Salts”
- …and others…
- Who is using stimulants?
- Prescriptions v. street drugs – what’s the difference?
Identification and Assessment: What to Look for in Session and Beyond
- The drive to use How addiction hijacks the brain
- Why it’s hard to quit
- Behavioral effects
- Psychological effects
Treatment Techniques You Need to Know
- Top 10 signs of stimulant misuse
- Co-occurring disorders
- Mood disorders (bipolar disorders and depressive disorders)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Psychotic disorders
- Personality disorders
- Disorders diagnosed in childhood (conduct disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
- Individual counseling strategies
- Group counseling strategies
- Peer support
PAUL BRASLER, MA, MSW, LCSW
Paul Brasler, MA, MSW, LCSW, has worked in the social work field for the past 22 years. His work experience includes adolescent residential treatment, inpatient and outpatient substance abuse treatment, experiential group process, being a mental health provider on a hostage negotiation team, drug court senior clinician, private practice with individuals and families, and crisis interventions. For the past seven years, Paul has worked in five emergency departments in the greater Richmond, Virginia area conducting psychiatric assessments of patients in crisis. Paul helps the most vulnerable population in his community, and he enjoys the intersection of mental health, substance abuse and medicine.
A graduate of Virginia Commonwealth University’s Graduate School of Social Work, Paul returned to his alma mater to teach in 2012. While he readily acknowledges the need for coherent and means-tested theories to support practice, he ultimately values the live experience of putting strategies into practical use. Seminar attendees consistently note that they like how he uses “real life” examples in his presentation.
Financial: Paul Brasler is in private practice. He receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Nonfinancial: Paul Brasler has no relevant nonfinancial relationship to disclose.
Continuing Education Credits
CE Information Coming Soon
Continuing education credit information is coming soon for this non-interactive self-study package.
CEs may be available for select professions, as listed in the target audience. Hours will be dependent on the actual recording time. Please check with your state licensing board or organization for specific requirements.
There may be an additional fee for CE certificates. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-844-8260 for more details.
**Materials that are included in this course may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your professions standards.
- Social Workers
- School Administrators
- Marriage & Family Therapists
- Case Managers
- Addiction Counselors
- Other Mental Health Professionals
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.