includes free shipping
Now Available For Preorder
This item is expected to ship 4-6 weeks after the event on January 30, 2019.
- DVD Video - 4+ hours Instructions
- 6 hr 20 min
- Multi-disc DVD recording with electronic manual and instructions.
- SETH BERNSTEIN, PHD
- PESI Inc.
- 1/30/2019 - Available Now for Pre-Order
- CE Available:
- Yes, See CE credit tab for complete continuing education details
- Product Code:
- Ascertain how a “successful outcome” in therapy is defined when utilizing a solution-focused approach.
- Utilize specific solution-focused techniques to improve client engagement in therapy and improve clinical outcomes.
- Explain the importance of focusing on clients’ values in order to increase motivation and elicit therapeutic change.
- Develop a solution-focused treatment plan that incorporates attainable, client-driven goals.
- Implement clinical interventions that improve clients’ sense of agency and control over their treatment.
- Utilize scaling and the concept of “positive differences” to assist clients in recognizing their competencies and therapeutic progress.
Do More of What’s Working: Integrate Solution-Focused Therapy Into Your Current Approach
Quickly Engage Clients in Treatment: Get Buy-In and Instill Hope During the First Session
- Redefine “successful outcome” in therapy
- Find the exception to the problem
- Who is the expert?
- Stay in the present
- Change language and interventions to be strengths-based
- A new perspective on goal setting
- Limitations of the research and potential risks
Behavior Management Plan Development
- Build the therapeutic alliance
- Decrease resistance and defensiveness
- Integrate Prochaska’s Stages of Change
- Emphasize client competence with the “Yes Set”
- Help clients recognize existing support
- Exercises to identify personal VIPs
- Relationship “deposits”
- Utilize evidence-based compliments to reinforce strengths and coping skills
Gain Therapeutic Momentum: Activate Change Through Collaboration
- A Comprehensive Step-By-Step Guide with Worksheets and Checklists
- Explicitly describe the behavior
- Assess impact of cognition, emotion, medical status, personal history on behavior
- Identify the cause of the behavior
- Interventions to address causes of behaviors
- Environmental changes
- Communication changes
- Schedule changes
- Medical changes
- Staff changes
- Write a thorough behavior intervention plan for the entire care team
- Evaluate the success of the behavior management plan or reasons for failure
Putting It All Together: Combine Strengths and Skills to Create Lasting Change
- Gain a motivational edge by tapping into client values
- Interventions that emphasize client strengths and competencies
- Identify clients’ preferred future with variants of the “Miracle Question”
- Nurture clients’ sense of agency by highlighting:
- Coping skills
- Positive differences
- Progress in treatment
- Elicit change with solution-focused goal setting
- Strategies that facilitate therapeutic change
- Incremental learning
- Between session assignments
- Continue building on the positive
- Resource activation
- Expanding personal VIPs
- Utilize “scaling” as an outcome monitoring and motivational tool
- Work through transference issues that may impede progress
- Termination considerations
SETH BERNSTEIN, PHD
Seth Bernstein, Ph.D., is a practicing clinical psychologist who has been leading professional workshops since 1990, most recently on the principles and practice of brief therapy, motivational interviewing, and solution-focused therapy. Originally trained as a psychoanalytic therapist, his practice has diversified to include a wide variety of effective, evidence-based techniques used within the solution-focused framework to maximize his clients’ strengths and motivation to change. Dr. Bernstein is a contributor to the newsletter for the Institute for Solution Focused Therapy and maintains a private practice and consultation service. He has authored several articles on the subject of psychotherapy and recently published a book entitled Emotions, Meaning and Management. In addition to playing music, Dr. Bernstein loves movies – he finds therapeutic value in film and often incorporates clips into his presentations to add richness to the learning process for professionals.
Financial: Seth Bernstein maintains a private practice. He receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Seth Bernstein has no relevant non-financial relationships to disclose.
Continuing Education Credits
CE Information Coming Soon
Continuing education credit information is coming soon for this non-interactive self-study package.
CEs may be available for select professions, as listed in the target audience. Hours will be dependent on the actual recording time. Please check with your state licensing board or organization for specific requirements.
There may be an additional fee for CE certificates. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-844-8260 for more details.
**Materials that are included in this course may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your professions standards.
- Social Workers
- Case Managers
- Addiction Counselors
- Marriage & Family Therapists
- Other Mental Health Professionals
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.