Now Available For Preorder
This item is expected to ship 4-6 weeks after the event on August 22, 2018.
- DVD Video - 4+ hours
- Multi-disc DVD recording with electronic manual and instructions.
- BROOKS BAER, MA, LCPC, LMFT
- PESI Inc.
- 8/22/2018 - Available Now for Pre-Order
- CE Available:
- Yes, See CE credit tab for complete continuing education details
- Product Code:
- Categorize the essential characteristics of each of the personality disorders in DSM-5® for clinical assessment.
- Determine the “hidden agendas” of each of the personality disorders as they relate to case conceptualization.
- Describe how transference and countertransference can affect clinical management and treatment outcomes.
- Explain the boundary violation traps inherent in each of the personality disorder relationships as it relates to clinical treatment.
- Utilize tools to assess treatability and prognosis early on in the therapy.
- Evaluate the efficacy of various treatment methods for personality disorders including DBT and CBT.
- Manage client’s suicidality, self-injurious behavior and violence with clinical strategies.
I. Learn the DSM-5® Personality Disorder System
II. “It’s all About Me.” The Challenge of the Hidden Agenda
- What is personality, where does it come from and where does it go?
- Attachment-the lifelong problem
- Personality pathology: genes vs. family vs. friends. vs. fate
- Personality disorders
- Spectrum or category
- Discrete or complex
- Bump in the road or end of the line
- Why can’t we all just get along?
III. Actually, It’s All About You
- The core of the personality disorder: The unchanging agenda
- A review of the DSM-5® personality disorders and their agendas:
- Criteria changes:
- Antisocial (and Psychopaths!)
- Trait Specified (PDTS) What is that?
- General Criteria for Personality Disorders
- Levels of Personality Functioning
- Personality Trait Domains
IV. What Works and What Doesn’t with Personality Disorders
- Transference & Countertransference
- What does transference and countertransference look like in our work?
- Boundary crossings and boundary violations
- Countdown to Calm
- How to tell when you are headed for disaster and how to intervene
V. Nobody Gets Hurt: Violence, Suicide & Manipulation
- Polypharmacy and the borderline client
- DBT, CBT and all the rest-which therapy for whom? What’s the evidence and what’s the truth
- Generic, but incredibly useful, therapy strategies for each disorder
- Are some disorders hopeless?
Limitations of Research and Potential Risks
- Self-injurious behavior
- The frustration of recurrent suicidal behavior
- Suicide risk assessment
- Keeping yourself safe
BROOKS BAER, MA, LCPC, LMFT
Brooks W. Baer, MA, LCPC, LMFT, is a Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor and a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist who has been involved in the mental health field for over 25 years. He has well over 20,000 therapy hours and has conducted over 5,000 diagnostic interviews in emergency department settings. Brooks has been a student of CBT for the past 20 years and has logged thousands of hours with a wide variety of patient populations. He has successfully used these prinicples in hundreds of cases and understands the real world application of this effective treatment modality. You will benefit from his techinical understanding of these theories as well as his clinical expertise.
Since 2006, Brooks has taught seminars to more than 8,000 mental health professionals across the country. He currently splits his time between an Emergency Crisis Response team and teaching. Brooks brings you the latest research regarding both therapy and neuroscience; using his extensive clinical experience, he’s able to translate that information into useful principles that can be used every day.
Financial: Brooks Baer is in private practice. He receives compensation as an adjunct faculty member at the University of Great Falls. Mr. Baer receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Brooks Baer has no relevant non-financial relationship to disclose.
Continuing Education Credits
CE Information Coming Soon
Continuing education credit information is coming soon for this non-interactive self-study package.
CEs may be available for select professions, as listed in the target audience. Hours will be dependent on the actual recording time. Please check with your state licensing board or organization for specific requirements.
There may be an additional fee for CE certificates. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-844-8260 for more details.
**Materials that are included in this course may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your professions standards.
Counselors, Social Workers, Psychologists, Case Managers, Addiction Counselors, Therapists, Marriage & Family Therapists, Other Mental Health Professionals, Nurses
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.