Now Available For Preorder
This item is expected to ship 4-6 weeks after the event on May 19, 2020.
- DVD Video - 4+ hours Instructions
- Multi-disc DVD recording with electronic manual and instructions.
- BONNIE GROSSMAN, LPC
- PESI Inc.
- 5/19/2020 - Available Now for Pre-Order
- CE Available:
- Yes, See CE credit tab for complete continuing education details
- Product Code:
- Assess self-biases that can impact rapport and engagement with Hispanic clients.
- Apply the DSM-5® cultural formulation interview to assess for cultural influences in Hispanic clients.
- Analyze assessment forms and diagnostic protocols for inherent cultural bias.
- Differentiate between cultural subgroups within the United States Hispanic population, including differences in cultural norms and traditions.
- Utilize clinical strategies to adapt interventions for use with Hispanic clients.
- Employ clinical strategies to overcome cultural barriers such as language, different cultural values and contrasting belief systems.
Ethics & the DSM-5®: Guidelines for the Integration of Cultural Competencies
The US Hispanic Population
- Examination of biases & stereotypes
- Cross-cultural variations in presentations
- Cultural concepts of distress
- Cultural Formulation Interview (CFI)
- Assessments & diagnostic protocols
- Cultural adaptation of services
- Ethical standards for culturally competent practice
- Limitations of the research & potential risks
Pertinent Cultural Traditions & Characteristics
- Use correct terminology: Hispanic or Latino/a?
- Diversity within the U.S. Hispanic population
- The impact of the U.S. political landscape
- Effects of immigration & immigration status
- Generational status & level of acculturation
- Personal development & women’s empowerment
Common Mental Health Issues & Clinical Presentations
- Common religious & spiritual beliefs
- Cuentos, Dichos, traditions & more
- Modern relevance of Pre-Columbian Mexican healing practices
- Curanderismo in mental health treatment
- Family traditions & the family environment
- Parentification of children & translator children
- Machismo & marianismo
Client Engagement & Retention
- Culture-bound syndromes & presentations
- Perceptions of mental illness & symptoms
- Most common mental health conditions
- Multiple losses: Death, identity & deportation
Assessment & Treatment Considerations
- Reluctance to seek treatment
- Address treatment process misunderstandings
- How to explain confidentiality
- Assess the client’s expectations & preferences
- Tips to build rapport & trust
- Avoid & address unintended cultural offenses
- ”Personalismo” in relationship building
- Address reasons for missing appointments
Culturally-Informed Interventions & Strategies
- Adapt assessment forms to remove implicit bias
- Cultural barriers to treatment
- Language barriers & use of an interpreter
- Acculturation & the immigration experience
- Recognize intersections of demographic characteristics
- Modalities recently developed in Latin America
Managing Groups & Considerations for Referrals
- Utilize “cuentos” & “dichos” meaningfully
- Tailor approaches to emphasize the family
- Focus on the present – not on the future
- Brief, direct & problem-focused therapy
- Manage transference & countertransference
- Integrate clients’ spiritual practices into treatment
- Including the family in therapy
- Group therapy with Hispanic clients
- Latino clients and the group process
- Collaboration with other providers
- Considerations for referrals
BONNIE GROSSMAN, LPC
Bonnie Grossman, LPC, is the co-founder of Spa for the Giver’s Soul, an organization that provides professional development and leadership training. She is an EFT Master Practitioner and a licensed professional counselor in New Jersey. Bonnie is an internationally recognized keynote speaker, author, workshop leader and consultant with over 17 years’ experience attending clients and teaching courses.
Bonnie teaches both EFT Level One and Level Two practitioner training courses and provides EFT Practitioner certifications. She has extensive experience training mental health professionals, medical doctors, university professors, teachers, corporate executives and employees. Bonnie has a private practice where she provides therapy and coaching to individuals, couples and families. She works with adults and youth who experience trauma, depression, anxiety, ADHD, anger and abandonment issues, low self-esteem and self-harm.
Bonnie is the founder of Women’s Empowerment, a nonprofit organization in Mexico. She passionately believes that all people can develop potential, greatness and the ability to love. Bonnie works frequently in the United States, Latin America and Brazil.
Continuing Education Credits
CE Information Coming Soon
Continuing education credit information is coming soon for this non-interactive self-study package.
CEs may be available for select professions, as listed in the target audience. Hours will be dependent on the actual recording time. Please check with your state licensing board or organization for specific requirements.
There may be an additional fee for CE certificates. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-844-8260 for more details.
**Materials that are included in this course may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your professions standards.
- Social Workers
- Case Managers
- Addiction Counselors
- Marriage & Family Therapists
- Other Mental Health Professionals
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.