Now Available For Preorder
This item is expected to ship 4-6 weeks after the event on December 18, 2019.
- DVD Video - 4+ hours Instructions
- Multi-disc DVD recording with electronic manual and instructions.
- SARAH JANE SCHONOUR, MA, NBCT
- PESI Inc.
- 12/18/2019 - Available Now for Pre-Order
- CE Available:
- Yes, See CE credit tab for complete continuing education details
- Product Code:
- Demonstrate one simple method to get children to stop disruptive behavior and improve their level of functioning.
- Articulate seven tactics for encouraging good behavior to reinforce positive behavior and constructive work habits.
- Implement behavior modification strategies to diffuse tantrums, playground issues, and address testing and manipulation in students.
- Determine how to apply 1-2-3 Magic to students with learning, emotional, and developmental disabilities.
- Collaborate productively with students to build and maintain positive relationships in the classroom.
- Practice active listening strategies and manage transition times effectively to minimize disruptive behavior in the classroom.
What is 1-2-3 Magic in the Classroom?
Build a Solid Foundation for Your Classroom
- Based on the popular and effective parenting program: 1-2-3 Magic
- Simple, precise, and effective ways to manage behavior
- A “teacher-in-charge” approach with no arguing, yelling, or negativity
Identify & Manage the 6 Types of Testing and Manipulation
- Effective teaching is key
- Avoid The Dangerous Assumption about children
- The two biggest behavior management mistakes most teachers make
- Different types of behavior must be addressed in different ways
- Accommodations for students with learning, emotional, and developmental disabilities
Step 1: Manage and Reduce Undesirable Behavior in the Classroom
- Butter Up
- Physical Tactics
Step 2: Encourage Good Behavior in the Classroom
- Counting – It’s simple but not easy!
- How to get the students onboard
- Techniques to target problem situations
- Applying 1-2-3 Magic outside of the classroom
- Field trips
Step 3: Strengthen Positive Relationships with Students
- Proactively teaching routines and procedures
- 7 simple methods to encourage positive choices
- Utilize praise and positive feedback
- What to do (and what not to do) during:
- Arrival and dismissal
- Cleaning up
- Independent work
- Build self-esteem
- Develop constructive classroom habits
- Implement active and reflective listening
- Work collaboratively to solve problems together
SARAH JANE SCHONOUR, MA, NBCT
Sarah Jane Schonour, MA, NBCT, is a National Board-Certified Teacher with over 25 years of experience in the field of education. She received her undergraduate degree from the College of William and Mary and her master’s degree from George Washington University. She has worked in the public-school system as an instructional assistant, classroom teacher, curriculum resource teacher, and behavior intervention teacher.
Sarah Jane is currently teaching at Arizona State University in the Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College and has served as adjunct faculty for two universities in the Washington DC area. She is the co-author of 1-2-3 Magic in the Classroom, which received the Teacher’s Choice Award and is a selection of the Primary Teachers’ Book Club. Sarah Jane also co-developed the 1-2-3 Magic for Teachers DVD. Audiences across the nation have been impressed with her organization, real-life examples, and practicality.
Financial: Sarah Jane Schonour is an associate faculty at Arizona State University. She is a co-author of 1-2-3 Magic in the Classroom and receives royalties from Sourcebooks. Ms. Schonour receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Sarah Jane Schonour has no relevant non-financial relationships to disclose.
Continuing Education Credits
CE Information Coming Soon
Continuing education credit information is coming soon for this non-interactive self-study package.
CEs may be available for select professions, as listed in the target audience. Hours will be dependent on the actual recording time. Please check with your state licensing board or organization for specific requirements.
There may be an additional fee for CE certificates. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-844-8260 for more details.
**Materials that are included in this course may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your professions standards.
- Special Education Teachers
- Instructional Assistants
- Educational Paraprofessionals
- School Guidance Counselors
- Social Workers
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- School Administrators
- Case Managers
- Occupational Therapists
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Speech-Language Pathologists
- Other Helping Professionals who Work with Children
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.