Now Available For Preorder
This item is currently on pre-order status and will be shipped when available.
- DVD Video - 4+ hours Instructions
- 5 hr 49 min
- Multi-disc DVD recording with electronic manual and instructions.
- SUSAN J. LEWIS, PH.D., J.D.
- PESI Inc.
- 10/30/2019 - Available Now for Pre-Order
- CE Available:
- Yes, See CE credit tab for complete continuing education details
- Product Code:
- Communicate how to avoid litigation dilemmas, licensing complaints and malpractice actions.
- Explore the legal and ethical considerations for the treatment of minor populations in Alaska with regard to age of consent, confidentiality and custody concerns.
- Communicate how an understanding of common boundary and dual relationships issues/dilemmas can help you maintain appropriate relationships with your clients.
- Recognize ethical challenges you should consider when responding to subpoenas that request disclosure of client records.
- Analyze the limits of confidentiality as it relates to duty to warn in Alaska.
- Articulate how risk management strategies regarding technology can keep client information secure and avoid violating HIPAA.
Practical Approach to Risk Management
- Law vs. ethics
- Elements of legal informed consent
- Nuts and bolts of office policies
- Records vs. psychotherapy notes
- What to put in a record
- Limitations of confidentiality
- Alaska case law & danger to others
- Alaska duty to warn potential victims
- The latest updates you need to know
- Elements of consent
- Competence & scope of practice
- Boundary violations/crossings
- Issues with modern technology
- Texting, cell phones, e-mail, video psychotherapy
- Perils of supervision
Navigate the Legal System
- Licensing complaints & malpractice lawsuits
- Alaska-specific statutes
- Alaska rules and regulations
- Case law and how to find it
Treatment of Minors
- Roles of attorneys
- Subpoena & disclosure of confidential information
- Depositions, interrogatories, expert testimony
- Alaska age of majority
- Consent to treatment
- Separation & divorce
SUSAN J. LEWIS, PH.D., J.D.
Susan J. Lewis, Ph.D., J.D., is a licensed clinical and forensic psychologist and lawyer. She has over 25 years of experience in clinical practice with unique populations that have included female sexual offenders incarcerated at a woman’s prison, self-injurious individuals, forensic patients and individuals who suffer from severe and persistent mental illness. In addition to clinical practice, Dr. Lewis has served in leadership roles as clinical director, program manager, and supervisor for psychiatry residents and post-doctoral psychologists.
Currently, Dr. Lewis teaches courses on Law and Ethics in Mental Health that are state specific to the laws of each state. She has also lectured nationwide on the DSM5® and differential diagnosis. She taught courses at Harvard’s Extension School and Northeastern University on the Psychology of Criminal Behavior. She is the author of Legal and Ethical Issues for Mental Health Clinicians: Best Practices for Avoiding Litigation, Complaints and Malpractice (PPM, 2016) and her latest book From Deep Within: A Forensic and Clinical Psychologist’s Journey (2018).
A sought-after consultant, Dr. Lewis works with attorneys on controversial issues such as dangerousness, competence to stand trial, criminal responsibility evaluations, and civil and criminal commitment. She works with attorneys on strategies of how mental illness might impinge of legal decision-making. Dr. Lewis has been adjudicated an expert in almost all of the district and superior courts in Massachusetts.
Financial: Susan Lewis is in private practice. She receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Nonfinancial: Susan Lewis is a member of the American Psychological Association.
Continuing Education Credits
Save time and $10 off the price of other submission methods – purchase & take the CE test online for $9.99 USD per participant. Additional processing fees apply for other submission methods (i.e. mail, fax, etc.). Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-844-8260 for more details.
Listed below are the continuing education credit(s) currently available for this non-interactive self-study package. Please note, your state licensing board dictates whether self study is an acceptable form of continuing education. Please refer to your state rules and regulations.
Certificates of Successful Completion are available for email, download and/or printing from your online account immediately following the successful completion of the post-test/evaluation.
**Materials that are included in this course may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your professions standards.
- Social Workers
- Case Managers
- Addiction Counselors
- Marriage & Family Therapists
- Other Mental Health Professionals
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.