Now Available For Preorder
This item is expected to ship 4-6 weeks after the event on September 28, 2021.
- Audio CD - 4+ hours Instructions
- Multi-disc audio recording with electronic manual and instructions.
- SONATA BOHEN, MSN, ARNP, CS, NEI MASTER PSYCHOPHARMACOLOGIST
- PESI HealthCare
- 9/28/2021 - Available Now for Pre-Order
- CE Available:
- Yes, See CE credit tab for complete continuing education details
- Product Code:
- Determine criteria for high-risk behavior.
- Apply interpersonal effectiveness skills to patient evaluation.
- Analyze effective strategies to de-escalate dangerous behavior.
- Assess for the symptoms of major mental illness that interfere with treatment.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of your communication skills to de-escalate aggressive behavior.
- Develop skills in rapid triage and response.
Rule Out a Medical Cause
Risk for Dangerous Patient Encounters
- High glucose levels
- Adverse response to medications
- Aggressive response due to prescribed steroids
- Priority is safety
- Understanding the behaviors
- Mechanisms for coping
- Strategies to deal with the angry patient
Evaluating the Patient
- Treatment focused
- Do no harm
- Clear boundaries
Interpersonal Effectiveness Skills
- Ask the right questions
- What motivates the patient
- Motivational interviewing: Asking, listen, inform
- Engage patients in focused communication
- Listen with empathy
- Empower the patient
Understanding Challenging Symptoms
- What type of communicator are you?
- Reciprocal communication strategies
- Clinician self-care
Severe Mental Illness
- Know your limits
- Key considerations for chronic & severe mental illness
- Engage the family constructively
Disorders with Unique Risk
- Schizophrenia/Schizoaffective disorders
- Substance-induced psychosis
- Bipolar disorder
- Major depression
- Anxiety disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Developmental disabilities
- Substance abuse
- Special considerations for violent patients
Debriefing and Care for the Responder
- Sexual assault
- Domestic violence
- Suicidal ideation & risk
- Protection against secondary PTSD
SONATA BOHEN, MSN, ARNP, CS, NEI MASTER PSYCHOPHARMACOLOGIST
Sonata Bohen, MSN, ARNP, CS, NEI Master Psychopharmacologist, has been in practice 34 years as a bilingual psychiatric nurse practitioner and clinical nurse specialist in diverse clinical settings in the U.S., Mexico, and Central and South America. In addition, Sonata brings 37 years of teaching experience across a wide spectrum of settings, including a refugee camp in war time and academic settings at Morehead State University, University of Kentucky and Vanderbilt University, with a focus of capacitating local health promoters. Sonata is a sought-after national and state conference speaker on mental health issues and immigrant health, and currently serves in her community in outpatient and inpatient services at a regional hospital. She has a passion for teaching and an ability to make complex knowledge understandable and usable across diverse clinical settings.
Financial: Cynthia "Sonata" Bohen maintains a private practice. She receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Nonfinancial: Cynthia "Sonata" Bohen has no relevant nonfinancial relationships to disclose.
Continuing Education Credits
CE Information Coming Soon
Continuing education credit information is coming soon for this non-interactive self-study package.
CEs may be available for select professions, as listed in the target audience. Hours will be dependent on the actual recording time. Please check with your state licensing board or organization for specific requirements.
There may be an additional fee for CE certificates. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-844-8260 for more details.
**Materials that are included in this course may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your professions standards.
The planning committee and staff who controlled the content of this activity have no relevant financial relationships to disclose. For speaker disclosures, please see speaker bios.
- Nurse Practitioners
- Clinical Nurse Specialists
- Physician Assistants
- Nursing Home Administrators
- Social Workers
- Occupational Therapists
- Physical Therapists
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.