Now Available For Preorder
This item is expected to ship 4-6 weeks after the event on July 23, 2021.
- Audio CD - 4+ hours Instructions
- Multi-disc audio recording with electronic manual and instructions.
- JESSICA WILSON, JD
- PESI Inc.
- 7/23/2021 - Available Now for Pre-Order
- CE Available:
- Yes, See CE credit tab for complete continuing education details
- Product Code:
- Investigate how Medicaid planning can help elderly people qualify for Medicaid home-care and nursing-home benefits.
- Analyze pitfalls in preparing and submitting Medicaid applications.
- Evaluate the role of advance directives in legally and ethically ascertaining patients’ preferences for care and ensuring their wishes are carried out.
- Determine how a Healthcare Proxy can be utilized to empower another person to make decisions in the event someone is unable to make or communicate decisions about their own medical care.
- Investigate Medicaid Waiver Programs for disabled individuals under 65 years of age.
- Evaluate your responsibilities as a mandatory reporter when you have suspicions of elder abuse.
What You Need to Know About Legal Capacity
Why Everyone Needs Advance Directives
- Circumstances where an Article 81 Guardianship is needed
- When should a nursing home bring a guardianship?
- The rights of the Alleged Incapacitated Person (AIP)
- Knowing your role: the petitioner, court evaluator, counsel to AIP and the judge
- Guardianship of the person and the property
- Turnover proceedings: Protecting seniors from financial abuse
Special Needs Patients
- Can a senior diagnosed with dementia or Alzheimer’s draft advanced directives?
- New York’s New Durable Power of Attorney – goes into effect June 13, 2021
- An agent’s fiduciary obligations Under POA
- Health Care Proxy
- Living Wills
Elder Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation
- How to protect a special needs child
- Supplemental Needs Trusts for disabled individuals under 65 years old
- Medicaid Waiver Program: Office for People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) and Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Medicaid Payment for Long-Term Care:
- Types & signs of elder abuse
- Protective placement
- Mandatory reporting
Qualifying for Benefits and What to Watch For
New Developments in Community Medicaid
- Care at home & facilities
- What about assisted living facilities?
- Basic eligibility rules: Individuals & Couples
- Pooled Income Trust
- Treatment of certain assets: Home, retirement accounts, trusts
- Exempt transfers
- Gifts: Penalty periods
- Application process
- Estate recovery
- What changed on October 1, 2020 in NYS?
- New Community Medicaid Lookback Period
- Change in assessment process
- Spousal refusal: Safe for now
JESSICA WILSON, JD
Jessica Wilson, J.D., is an attorney who concentrates her legal practice in estate planning, probate and elder law. Attorney Wilson helps clients unravel their complicated feelings toward death, aging and inheritance so they can put together a comprehensive estate plan. As an advocate for the elderly and their families, she handles a wide range of legal matters including long term care planning, guardianship, Medicaid and issues related to healthcare.
Attorney Wilson earned her J.D. degree from Lewis & Clark School of Law and is a member of the Kings County and New York County bar associations, the Part 36 Guardianship Panel, and the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys.
Financial: Jessica Wilson is the founder of the Law Office of Jessica Wilson, PC. She receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Jessica Wilson is a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA); the New York City Bar Association; and the Brooklyn Bar Association.
Continuing Education Credits
CE Information Coming Soon
Continuing education credit information is coming soon for this non-interactive self-study package.
CEs may be available for select professions, as listed in the target audience. Hours will be dependent on the actual recording time. Please check with your state licensing board or organization for specific requirements.
There may be an additional fee for CE certificates. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-844-8260 for more details.
**Materials that are included in this course may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your professions standards.
The planning committee and staff who controlled the content of this activity have no relevant financial relationships to disclose. For speaker disclosures, please see speaker bios.
- Social Workers
- Nursing Home Administrators
- Nurse Practitioners
- Admissions Directors
- Case Managers
- Discharge Planners
- Health Care Facilities
- Patient Care Coordinators
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.