Now Available For Preorder
This item is expected to ship 4-6 weeks after the event on March 26, 2021.
- Audio CD - 4+ hours Instructions
- 6 hr 15 min
- Multi-disc audio recording with electronic manual and instructions.
- JANINE HALLORAN, M.A., LMHC
- PESI Inc.
- 3/26/2021 - Available Now for Pre-Order
- CE Available:
- Yes, See CE credit tab for complete continuing education details
- Product Code:
- Develop strategies for teaching kids coping skills that positively impact academic performance and their ability to maintain relationships.
- Analyze how the nervous system response of “fight, flight or freeze” is connected to stress and communicate how coping skills can be used to shift kids to a more tranquil “rest and digest” response.
- Execute a classroom routine that allows for breaks to benefit both hypo-arousal and hyper-arousal in kids with ADHD.
- Utilize mindfulness and grounding techniques that can be used to help children manage their symptoms of anxiety.
- Employ methods to determine the source of stress and create a plan to eliminate shutting down or acting out.
- Utilize specific movement-based strategies that can effectively intervene in kids’ anger responses.
Coping Skills Overview
SKILLS AND STRATEGIES: INTERACTIVE EXERCISES
- The autonomic nervous system & coping skills
- 4 types of coping skills—
- Coping skills checklist to identify current skills and strengths
- The Importance of preventative interventions
- 3 prong approach to supporting children’s social/emotional needs
Deep Breathing - Beyond “Taking a Deep Breath”
Coping Skills for Anxiety/Stress
- Props —
- stuffed animals
- Hoberman sphere
- Words —
- to encourage deep breath
- “smell the soup
- cool down the soup”
- Shapes —
- star breathing
- lazy 8 breathing
- square breathing
- triangle breathing
- Your Body —
- your hand
- whole body movement
Coping Skills for ADHD
- Mindfulness Practice—
- One mindful minute
- Spiderman mindfulness
- Audio and visual mindfulness scripts
- Grounding Techniques—
- 54321 grounding
- Alphabet grounding
- Identifying and Taming Anxiety—
- Take-home worksheets to help identify anxiety
- Thermometer for anxiety worksheet
- “Sources of stress” worksheet
Coping Skills for Anger/Frustration
- Movement Breaks
- wall push-ups
- music and movement
- Sensory Ideas
- proper fidget use
- calming jars
- using senses (tactile, hearing, visual, auditory, etc...)
- The Importance of Play
- open-ended play ideas
- Small physical movement activities to manage frustration—
- squeezing play dough
- scribble drawing
- bubble wrap
- ripping paper
- Big physical movement activities to manage anger—
- jumping jacks
- obstacle courses
- Processing anger—
- comic strip processing
- what I can control vs. what I can’t control workshee
Practical Implementation Ideas for the Classroom or Office
- Make a coping skills toolkit for your room—
- coping skills cue cards
- other visuals
- Distraction coping skills—
- word searches
- hidden pictures
- Creating a calm down spot/calm down room—
- identify a good spot create an area that
- is peaceful and relaxing
- coping skills toolkit
- Practice your own coping skills—
- mindfulness and self-care worksheet
JANINE HALLORAN, M.A., LMHC
Janine Halloran, is a Licensed Mental Health Counselor with over 17 years of experience working with children, teens and their families. She is the founder and CEO of Coping Skills for Kids, where she creates and curates tools & resources to help adults teach kids healthy ways to deal with stress, anxiety and anger. She is the author of the Coping Skills for Kids Workbook: Over 75 Coping Strategies to Help Kids Deal with Stress, Anxiety and Anger (PESI, 2018) and Social Skills for Kids: Over 75 Fun Games & Activities for Building Better Relationships, Problem Solving & Improving Communication (PESI, 2018). She is an NBC Parent Toolkit Expert and has written articles featured on their blog. In addition, she has written for several other publications, including Hey Sigmund, Confident Families Confident Kids and Bay State Parent Magazine. She’s worked in a variety of settings, including schools, residential programs and outpatient mental health facilities. She is in private practice and offers consultation.
Financial: Janine Halloran is in private practice. She receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Janine Halloran has no relevant non-financial relationship to disclose.
Continuing Education Credits
Save time and $10 off the price of other submission methods – purchase & take the CE test online for $19.99 USD per participant. Additional processing fees apply for other submission methods (i.e. mail, fax, etc.). Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-844-8260 for more details.
Listed below are the continuing education credit(s) currently available for this non-interactive self-study package. Please note, your state licensing board dictates whether self study is an acceptable form of continuing education. Please refer to your state rules and regulations.
Certificates of Successful Completion are available for email, download and/or printing from your online account immediately following the successful completion of the post-test/evaluation.
**Materials that are included in this course may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your professions standards.
The planning committee and staff who controlled the content of this activity have no relevant financial relationships to disclose. For speaker disclosures, please see speaker bios.
- School Psychologists
- Social Workers
- Marriage & Family Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Speech-Language Pathologists
- Other Mental Health Professionals
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.