Now Available For Preorder
This item is expected to ship 4-6 weeks after the event on August 24, 2020.
- DVD Video - 4+ hours Instructions
- Multi-disc DVD recording with electronic manual and instructions.
- PHYLLIS GARRISON JD, CHP, CIPP/US, CIPM, FIP
- PESI Inc.
- 8/24/2020 - Available Now for Pre-Order
- CE Available:
- Yes, See CE credit tab for complete continuing education details
- Product Code:
- Differentiate between temporary and regular involuntary commitment for treatment and determine the clinician’s role in each.
- Explore the legal and ethical considerations for the treatment of minor populations in Indiana with regard to age of consent, confidentiality and custody concerns.
- Determine ethical issues related to the use of restraints, seclusion and informed consent.
- Articulate the role and responsibilities of the treatment provider as related to duty to warn law in Indiana.
- Compare the different requirements for release of protected health information via subpoenas and court orders.
- Develop policies on ethical issues such as restraints, seclusion and informed consent.
VOLUNTARY AND INVOLUNTARY TREATMENT OF MENTALLY ILL INDIVIDUALS
- Emergency & Immediate Detention
- Involuntary Commitment (Temporary & Regular)
- Guardianship, Power of Attorney, Psychiatric Advance Directives
- Individual’s Legal Rights
- Right to Refuse Treatment
- Restraints & Seclusion
- Psychotropic Medication Issues
RELEASE OF INFORMATION
- Reporting Requirements
- Child Abuse
- Vulnerable Adults
- Duty to Warn
- Other Reporting
- Subpoenas/Court Orders
- Mental Health Records
- Psychotherapy Notes
- Substance Abuse Records
- HIPAA & HITECH: Privacy & Security Standards
PHYLLIS GARRISON JD, CHP, CIPP/US, CIPM, FIP
Phyllis J. Garrison, JD, CHP, CIPP/US, CIPM, FIP is most recently retired as the Privacy Director and a member of the legal staff for Eskenazi Health Indianapolis, Indiana. She has returned to her private legal practice as “Of Counsel” in the Garrison Law Firm, Indianapolis. She previously served as Associate General Counsel for Community Hospitals of Indiana, Inc., and has provided legal services for a number of health care entities both as outside counsel and in-house counsel since 1984. Ms. Garrison has experience with a wide variety of health law issues including regulatory issues, fraud and abuse; EMTLA; anti-trust, nursing liability, medical records documentation; research compliance, mental health; professional licensure issues; HIPAA and medical malpractice. She graduated, magna cum laude , from Indiana University School of Law, Indianapolis and holds a BS degree from Ball State University where she graduated summa cum laude.
Ms. Garrison is a member of the Indiana State Bar Association, the American Health Lawyers Association, Who’s Who in American Law, the International Association of Privacy Professionals, the Indiana Security and Privacy Network, and St. Margaret’s Hospital Guild. She is also a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt.
Financial: Phyllis Garrison maintains a private legal practice. She receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Phyllis Garrison is a member of the Indiana Bar Association.
Continuing Education Credits
CE Information Coming Soon
Continuing education credit information is coming soon for this non-interactive self-study package.
CEs may be available for select professions, as listed in the target audience. Hours will be dependent on the actual recording time. Please check with your state licensing board or organization for specific requirements.
There may be an additional fee for CE certificates. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-844-8260 for more details.
**Materials that are included in this course may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your professions standards.
The planning committee and staff who controlled the content of this activity have no relevant financial relationships to disclose. For speaker disclosures, please see speaker bios.
- Social Workers
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- Risk Managers
- Addiction Professionals
- Case Managers
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.