Now Available For Preorder
This item is expected to ship 4-6 weeks after the event on January 22, 2020.
- Audio CD - 4+ hours Instructions
- Multi-disc audio recording with electronic manual and instructions.
- MELISSA WESTENDORF, JD, PH.D.
- PESI Inc.
- 1/22/2020 - Available Now for Pre-Order
- CE Available:
- Yes, See CE credit tab for complete continuing education details
- Product Code:
- Determine how to maintain ethical standards and compliance while utilizing social media technology.
- Appraise the legal and ethical challenges posed by communicating via email and text for mental health professionals.
- Assess the threats that technology poses to the confidentiality and privacy of clients.
- Analyze the legal aspects of HIPAA and how to safeguard against violations of laws.
- Evaluate the ethical and legal issues that are unique to distance therapy and how to stay compliant
- Investigate the ethical boundary challenges that arise when using technology.
The Changing Landscape of Mental Health Today
Social Media and Online Advertising Ethical Challenges – (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and More!)
- Keeping Up with Technology & Professional Liability Concerns
- Client Expectations – Are You Ethically and Legally Up to the Challenge?
Email & Texting – The Legal Landmines of Electronic Communication
- Pros and Cons of Utilizing Social Media and Website In Your Practice
- Confidentiality and Privacy Issues (and How to Avoid Them)
- Boundary Issues – And How to Ethically Safeguard Yourself
- Advertising and Solicitation – Avoiding Ethical Pitfalls
- Creating Your Social Media Policies and Procedures
Telehealth – Avoiding Legal & Ethical Pitfalls
- Pros and Cons of Emailing and Texting With Clients
- Confidentiality/Inadvertent Disclosures – Legal Concerns
- Privacy Expectations of the Client and Maintaining Healthy Boundaries
- Creating Your Texting and Emailing Policies and Procedures
Electronic Records & Going Paperless – Top Mistakes to Avoid
- Confidentiality/Privacy Concerns of Video Technology
- Practicing Across State Lines – Legal Issues and Insurance Challenges
- Client Expectations for Distance Therapy
- Creating Your Tele-Health Policies and Procedures
What the Future Holds
- HIPAA – Electronic Records Legalities
- File Retention, Destruction and Security
- Cloud-Based Data – How, When and Why
- Paperless Office Software
- New Technology & What to Expect Next!
- Legal & Ethical Trends
MELISSA WESTENDORF, JD, PH.D.
Melissa Westendorf, J.D., Ph.D., is a clinical and forensic psychologist and founder of the Technology Wellness Center. As a clinician, she has provided therapy to adults and adolescents in the community and within the correctional setting. Dr. Westendorf’s forensic practice is dedicated to assessing adults and youth in either the criminal justice system or in civil matters. As a technology wellness expert, she is dedicated to assisting parents, children, adolescents, and adults on understanding the complexities of technology use and the impact on our brains, emotions, and interpersonal relationships. Dr. Westendorf’s legal training coupled with her clinical background enables her to work with individuals who are experiencing the legal ramifications of technology use.
As a proactive psychologist and educator, Dr. Westendorf is a keynote speaker at academic institutions, parent organizations, businesses and community groups, offering preventative tools and resources that educate others on how to manage technology use in a healthy manner. She is the co-author of Unplug! Raising Kids in a Technology Addicted World. She has served on the Committee for Legal Issues for the American Psychological Association and on the Psychology Examining Board for the state of Wisconsin. Dr. Westendorf has been appointed as an expert in high profile legal cases, featuring the psychological ramifications of technology use. Her expertise has been relied upon in a wide variety of articles, podcasts, radio segments, and television programming. She has been featured on NPR (National Public Radio), Wisconsin Public Radio, and ABC’s 20/20. She is a monthly contributor to The Morning Blend.
Financial: Melissa Westendorf is a founder of the Technology Wellness Center. She is in private practice. Dr. Westendorf receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Melissa Westendorf is a member of the American Psychological Association.
Continuing Education Credits
CE Information Coming Soon
Continuing education credit information is coming soon for this non-interactive self-study package.
CEs may be available for select professions, as listed in the target audience. Hours will be dependent on the actual recording time. Please check with your state licensing board or organization for specific requirements.
There may be an additional fee for CE certificates. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-844-8260 for more details.
**Materials that are included in this course may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your professions standards.
- Social Workers
- Marriage & Family Therapists
- Case Managers
- Addiction Counselors
- Other Mental Health Professionals
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.