Now Available For Preorder
This item is expected to ship 4-6 weeks after the event on August 24, 2018.
- DVD Video - 4+ hours
- Multi-disc DVD recording with electronic manual and instructions.
- JEFFREY ASHBY, PHD, ABPP, RPT-S
- PESI Inc.
- 8/24/2018 - Available Now for Pre-Order
- CE Available:
- Yes, See CE credit tab for complete continuing education details
- Product Code:
- Explain how a practical model for ethical decision-making informs the clinical practice setting.
- Articulate the legal and ethical codes that relate to utilizing technology while providing mental health services.
- Establish ethical practices to ensure client safety, maintain confidentiality and obtain informed consent when utilizing distance mental health services.
- Consider cultural differences when using technology and articulate how this may inform the clinician’s choice of treatment interventions.
- Establish clear ethical guidelines to address the potential for a dual relationship when interreacting with clients via technology.
Nothing as Practical as a Good Theory
Understanding Ethical Decision Making
- How theories of ethical decision-making inform practice
- What’s your ethical theory? (And yes, you do have one)
- Consequentialism, Deontology, and other theories
Identify Contemporary Challenges
- Models of ethical decision-making
- The pre-critical process of decision-making
- Values, morals, laws, and other “cousins” of ethics
- How the codes written for paper records apply to electronic records
- Digital communication
- Distance therapy
- Professional guidelines and positions papers
- Skype anyone?
- Social media
- Website content and structure
- When and if to blog
- Navigating consumer review sites
- What information should be included?
- How much information is enough?
- Updated content for your Informed Consent Form
- Case examples
- “I know what I signed-but that’s not what I understand”
- “And now my insurance won’t pay”
- Boundaries of competence
- Understanding emotional competence
- Addressing cultural competence
- Supervision vs. consultation
- Case examples
- “When you can’t refer”
- Online disclosures
- ICD-10, HIPAA, and communicating with third party payers
- Encryption, storage, and the cloud
- Case examples
- “Confidentiality online”
- “Alternate forms of communication”
Put it all Together
- What kind of online relationship is really a “relationship”?
- Managing beneficial multiple relationships
- Gifts, bartering, and social contact
- Case examples
- “One of 5,000 friends”
- “It’s my party and I’ll cry if I want to”
- Anticipating future ethical challenges
- Using a decision-making model that will work in the future
- Understanding the role of ethics in quality client care
JEFFREY ASHBY, PHD, ABPP, RPT-S
Jeff Ashby, PhD, ABPP, RPT-S, is a professor in the department of counseling and psychological services at Georgia State University. He is the director of Georgia State’s Counseling Psychology doctoral program, a licensed psychologist, and a Diplomate of the American Board of Professional Psychology. Dr. Ashby has taught ethics at the graduate level for over 20 years and has served as the chair of the Ethics Committee of the International Association of Play Therapy and as an ethics content expert with the State of Georgia Psychology board. He has made over 100 presentations at professional conferences and authored/co-authored more than 80 articles in refereed journals, numerous book chapters, and two books.
Dr. Ashby received a BA in psychology and english literature from the University of Kansas, an MEd in counseling and school psychology from Wichita State University, and a PhD in counseling psychology from Penn State.
Financial: Jeffrey Ashy is a professor at Georgia State University. He receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Jeffrey Ashby is a fellow of the American Academy of Counseling Psychology. He is a member of the American Psychological Association; and the International Association of Play Therapy.
Continuing Education Credits
CE Information Coming Soon
Continuing education credit information is coming soon for this non-interactive self-study package.
CEs may be available for select professions, as listed in the target audience. Hours will be dependent on the actual recording time. Please check with your state licensing board or organization for specific requirements.
There may be an additional fee for CE certificates. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-844-8260 for more details.
**Materials that are included in this course may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your professions standards.
Counselors, Social Workers, Psychologists, Case Managers, Addiction Counselors, Therapists, Marriage & Family Therapists, Nurses Other Mental Health Professionals
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.