Now Available For Preorder
This item is expected to ship 4-6 weeks after the event on June 8, 2018.
- DVD Video - 4+ hours
- Multi-disc DVD recording with electronic manual and instructions.
- JASON MURPHY, MA, LMFT, CADACII, ICAP
- PESI Inc.
- 6/8/2018 - Available Now for Pre-Order
- CE Available:
- Yes, See CE credit tab for complete continuing education details
- Product Code:
- Characterize various manifestations of anger and how the underlying causes of anger inform the clinicians choice of intervention techniques.
- Engage reluctant or difficult to treat young clients with strategies that effectively communicate the possibility of change and create a safe therapeutic environment for them to share their feelings.
- Develop a case conceptualization for angry and aggressive young clients that promotes collaboration between therapist, adolescents and parents and strengthens the therapeutic alliance.
- Determine an approach for teaching clients to identify physical indicators of anger in-session and specify how this skill can be put to practical use in real world settings.
- Reduce the body’s anger response with progressive muscle relaxation and mindful breathing techniques that diminish anger in the moment.
- Teach clients how to communicate anger constructively with assertiveness techniques that increase their emotional vocabulary and enable them to manage stressful and anger inducing situations without aggression.
Address the Underlying Causes of Anger
You Can Change: Must-Have Techniques to Cultivate Transformation
- How anger styles inform your clinical approach
- Masked anger
- Explosive anger
- Chronic anger
- Create a safe therapeutic environment
- Exercise: common fears and threats
- Exercises: I am safe
- The cycle of anger
- Avoidance and shame
- The intersection of anger and addiction
Move Angry Teens past Negative Thoughts and Emotions
- Assess readiness for change
- Cost benefit analysis intervention
- Motivational techniques
- Acceptance and change
Stop Anger in the Moment: Calm the Body with Mindful Interventions
- Anger mapping
- Reduce negative self-talk
- Emotion regulation exercises
- Develop compassion for yourself and others
Respond Instead of React: Teach Teens to Constructively Communicate Anger
- Anger alarm – noticing anger in your body
- Breathe through anger
- Distraction and grounding techniques
- Self-soothing with calming words and imagery
- Techniques to release old anger
- Cooling wisdom Big Sky Meditation
- The Emotional Fire Extinguisher
- Assertiveness training techniques
- Build emotional vocabulary
- Defuse anger with humor
- Deepen the well of understanding
- ”I” messages
JASON MURPHY, MA, LMFT, CADACII, ICAP
Jason Murphy, MA, LMFT, CADACII, ICAP, is a consultant and educator with extensive experience over the last 2 decades of working with youth and families as a mindfulness-based psychotherapist and addiction medicine clinician. He is certified as a Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) trainer and holds a license as a certified addictions counselor. Jason has taught mindful awareness in a variety of settings both in the U.S. and internationally. He has implemented MBSR in educational systems, corporations, businesses and community organizations. Jason holds a specialized degree in behavioral sciences with an emphasis in psycho-pharmacology from the University of California Santa Cruz (UCSC) and a BA in interdisciplinary studies with emphasis in psychology, philosophy and anthropology. Jason has training in Vipassana (Insight) Meditation and is a teacher of this tradition. He has studied meditation and martial arts for the last 20 years.
Financial: Jason Murphy is the founder of Mindful Solutions and Mindfulness Recovery Counseling. He receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Jason Murphy has no relevant non-financial relationships to disclose.
Continuing Education Credits
CE Information Coming Soon
Continuing education credit information is coming soon for this non-interactive self-study package.
CEs may be available for select professions, as listed in the target audience. Hours will be dependent on the actual recording time. Please check with your state licensing board or organization for specific requirements.
There may be an additional fee for CE certificates. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-844-8260 for more details.
**Materials that are included in this course may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your professions standards.
Counselors, Social Workers, Psychologists, School Counselors, School Psychologists, School Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists, Addiction Counselors, Case Managers, Therapists, Probation Officers, Mental Health Professionals working in treatment programs, juvenile justice facilities and more
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.