- DVD Video - 4+ hours
- Multi-disc DVD recording with electronic manual and instructions.
- LORE M. DICKEY, PH.D.
- PESI Inc.
- CE Available:
- Yes, See CE credit tab for complete continuing education details
- Product Code:
- Communicate the complexities that transgender clients face daily including physical, mental, and social discomfort and how to address these in clinical practice.
- Develop a deep comprehension of the ways that a client’s own identity can create a trusting, effective relationship, and how their identity can negatively affect the clinical relationship.
- Apply concepts of affirmative clinical practice with gender diverse clients.
- Ascertain the various gender diverse identities and understand the ways that intersecting identities create further challenges in daily life.
- Assess your current clinical practice to determine how affirmative your practice is for gender diverse clients.
- Individualize and create a transition timeline and goals with your client.
- Prepare letters for clients seeking feminizing and masculinizing hormone therapy and gender confirmation surgeries.
Affirmative Clinical Practice
Gender Identity and Diversity
- Ethical responsibilities
- Clinical applications of affirmative practice
- Work with clients across the lifespan
- Emerging adults
- Older adults
- Elements of support for transition care
Challenges Faced by Gender Diverse People
- Coming out
- Transition experiences (e.g., social, medical, and legal)
- Historical perspectives
- Current conceptions of gender diversity
- Challenges with keeping up with identity labels
Interrogating One’s Gender Beliefs
- Intersecting identities
- Discrimination and violence
- Clients seeking asylum
- Clinical concerns
- Substance abuse
- Suicidal ideation
- Family considerations
- Value of support
- Legal concerns
- Why is this important
- What is involved in this process
- How does a clinician integrate this information into their practice?
Assessments with Gender Diverse Clients
- What aspects of one’s practice need to be assessed
- Simple ways to address practice short comings
- Best practice for addressing clinical concerns with assessment
- How to complete assessments that require binary sex indicators
- The purpose of assessment in clinical practice with clients
- Challenges with personality assessments
LORE M. DICKEY, PH.D.
lore m. dickey, PhD, has a mission to share his clinical expertise working with transgender and gender diverse clients. Dr. dickey was a co-chair for the American Psychological Association Task Force that wrote the Guidelines for Psychological Practice with Transgender and Gender Nonconforming People. As an international expert and pioneer in work with transgender clients, Dr. dickey’s work has been recognized numerous times.
Dr. dickey has a clinical practice in which he works with gender diverse clients. He focuses on helping clients to understand the ways to cope with daily challenges and works to ensure they have support for their transition, be it social, medical, or legal.
A prolific writer, lore has published 18 peer-reviewed journal articles, 15 book chapters, and one edited book. He had presented throughout the world including Oslo, Valencia, Amsterdam, Toronto, Bangkok, Yokohama, and Tokyo and is often invited to present. lore has presented over a hundred times at local, state, national, and international conferences and symposia. He is an engaging and humorous speaker and is able to translate his work in ways that are understandable and easy to apply to clinical practice.
Financial: lore dickey is an assistant professor at Norther Arizona University. He receives royalties from the American Psychological Association. Dr. dickey receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: lore dickey is a member of the American Psychological Association; the World Professional Association for Transgender Health; and the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality.
Continuing Education Credits
CE Information Coming Soon
Continuing education credit information is coming soon for this non-interactive self-study package.
CEs may be available for select professions, as listed in the target audience. Hours will be dependent on the actual recording time. Please check with your state licensing board or organization for specific requirements.
There may be an additional fee for CE certificates. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-844-8260 for more details.
**Materials that are included in this course may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your professions standards.
Counselors, Social Workers, Psychologists, Psychotherapists, Case Managers, Marriage & Family Therapists, Speech-Language Pathologists, Occupational Therapists, Occupational Therapy Assistants, Nurses, Addiction Counselors, Other Mental Health Professionals
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.