Now Available For Preorder
- DVD Video - 8+ hours
- Multi-disc DVD recording with electronic manual and instructions.
- STEPHANIE VAUGHN, PSY.D.
- PESI Inc.
- 5/1/2018 - Available Now for Pre-Order
- CE Available:
- Yes, See CE credit tab for complete continuing education details
- Product Code:
- Integrate the theory and techniques of DBT into your clinical practice.
- Teach DBT skills in the areas of mindfulness, distress tolerance, emotional regulation and interpersonal effectiveness.
- Integrate DBT skills for individual and group therapy treatment.
- Utilize DBT skills for treating mental health symptoms, chemical dependency and complex co-morbidity.
- Demonstrate mindfulness techniques to make mindfulness more understandable and acceptable to clients.
- Articulate a variety of strategies for teaching DBT skills to clients.
- Recommend how to seamlessly integrate DBT skills into individual therapy.
- Discriminate the DBT model from cognitive behavioral, client-centered, and other treatment modalities.
- Practice a multi-layered approach to validation of clients’ thoughts and feelings.
- Demonstrate the distress tolerance skills that will help clients survive crisis situations and learn how to not act on urges.
- Communicate interpersonal effectiveness skills and the importance of increasing and maintaining positive relationships in clients’ lives.
- Demonstrate through discussion and exercises how to bring the DBT skills into a treatment plan to move the client toward behavior change(s).
- Overview of Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
- Why Dialectics and what does that mean anyway?
- Common “Dialectical Dilemmas”
- Current research on using DBT skills portion of full DBT program
- Core DBT Skills Training
- Demographics and structure
- Rules of DBT Skills Training Group
- Targets of DBT Skills Training Group
- Roles of facilitators
- Mindfulness Skills
- Become more mindful of thoughts, feelings and urges and acting with intuition
- Decrease the amount of judgments clients make about themselves and others
- Participating and “throwing yourself in” (with a wise mind of course)
- Skills: Observe, describe, participate
- Distress Tolerance Skills
- Tolerate and survive a crisis (without making it worse)
- “Distract” themselves in their attempts to regulate their emotions
- “Radically Accepting” the crisis as it is and letting go of the struggle
- Self-soothing the five senses in times of a crisis
- Skills: TIPP, STOP
- Wise Mind ACCEPTS
- Interpersonal Effectiveness Skills
- Skills to help clients make requests and say NO (and have it stick)
- Teaching clients how to improve and attend to relationships
- Self-respect in the client and the respect others have for them
- Skills acronyms: DEAR MAN, GIVE, FAST
- 6 levels of validation in DBT
- Emotion Regulation Skills
- Regulate or even change intense emotions
- Decrease emotional vulnerability
- Skills: Check the Facts, Opposite Action, Cope Ahead
- Special Population: Skills for ANY Addiction
- Dialectical abstinence
- Urge surfing
- Pros and cons
- Alternative rebellion
- Avoiding cues & triggers
STEPHANIE VAUGHN, PSY.D.
Stephanie Vaughn, Psy.D., Clinical Psychologist-HSP
is the founder of Psyche, PLLC, a boutique outpatient therapy practice located in the Gulch area of Nashville, Tennessee. She is an Associate faculty member at Vanderbilt University in both the Psychology and Psychiatry Departments and serves as co-founder and Director of one of the few DBT-SUD residential facilities in the country, Voyage at Journey Pure, opening Fall of 2016. She conducts Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) with both adolescents and adults as a DBT-Linehan Board of Certification, Certified Clinician™. She is considered an expert on Therapy-Interfering Behaviors and contingency management for oppositional behaviors in adolescents.
Dr. Vaughn has worked in the intensive PTSD program at the Department of Veteran Affairs with soldiers returning from Afghanistan and Iraq and female soldiers suffering from Military Sexual Trauma where she implemented formal Prolonged Exposure (PE). She is active in the teaching and supervision of DBT for Vanderbilt’s Psychology & Counseling students and Doctoral interns, as well as Psychiatry residents. She founded and currently runs Vanderbilt's DBT Peer Consultation Group. She has served as an expert consultant for a variety of hospitals, schools, and clinics around the country.
Financial: Stephanie Vaughn maintains a private practice. She receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Stephanie Vaughn is a member of the American Psychological Association.
Continuing Education Credits
CE Information Coming Soon
Continuing education credit information is coming soon for this non-interactive self-study package.
CEs may be available for select professions, as listed in the target audience. Hours will be dependent on the actual recording time. Please check with your state licensing board or organization for specific requirements.
There may be an additional fee for CE certificates. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-844-8260 for more details.
**Materials that are included in this course may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your professions standards.
Social Workers, Psychologists, Counselors, Marriage and Family Therapists, Case Managers, Addiction Counselors, Therapists, Nurses, Other Mental Health Professionals
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.