Now Available For Preorder
- DVD Video - 4+ hours
- 12 hr 8 min
- Multi-disc video recording with electronic manual and instructions
- RICHARD SEARS, PSYD, PHD, MBA, ABPP
- PESI Inc.
- 3/8/2018 - Available Now for Pre-Order
- CE Available:
- Yes, See CE credit tab for complete continuing education details
- Product Code:
- Compile the underlying mechanisms that make mindfulness techniques effective for stress, depression, anxiety, trauma, pain, and addiction.
- Breakdown the role of thoughts in perpetuating symptoms of stress, anxiety, and depression as it relates to ruminating thoughts and behaviors in clients.
- Describe the brain changes associated with mindfulness practice to explain to clients the scientific effectiveness of practicing mindfulness.
- Connect how mindfulness builds upon and refines the evidence-based principles of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT).
- Incorporate mindfulness practices into traditional CBT thought records to help alleviate clients of intrusive, obsessive compulsive thoughts.
- Utilize specific mindfulness-based techniques to help clients disengage from the narrative of negative thoughts and emotions.
- Organize the eight session structure used MBCT program in your own clinical setting.
- Differentiate between the group process in MBCT vs. CBT to avoid clients’ cycles of struggling with distressing thoughts and feelings.
- Practice guiding a client through a 3-minute mindfulness exercise to improve the consistency of conscious choices rather than automatic reactions when distressed.
- Explore the use of decentering skills with a client, in a session, in the reduction of worry and ruminations.
- Apply the three steps of the mindful inquiry process, after the mindfulness exercise is over, to help clients more quickly internalize the skills and attitudes that allows them let go of struggle and make conscious choices.
- Adapt the MBCT curriculum to different client populations, including children, as it relates to treatment considerations.
Competencies of MBCT
Clinical Issues – Advanced Strategies for Working with Challenging Clients:
- Adaptations of MBCT for:
- Chronic Pain
- Substance Use Disorders
- Children & Adolescents
- Evaluations and Dissemination
RICHARD SEARS, PSYD, PHD, MBA, ABPP
Richard Sears, Psy.D., PhD, MBA, ABPP, is a licensed psychologist in Cincinnati, Ohio, board certified in clinical psychology by the American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP), runs a private psychology and consultation practice, and is the Director of the Center for Clinical Mindfulness & Meditation. He is also clinical assistant professor at Wright State University School of Professional Psychology, clinical/research faculty at the UC Center for Integrative Health and Wellness, volunteer associate professor of Psychiatry & Behavioral Neurosciences at the UC College of Medicine, and a research/psychologist contractor with the Cincinnati VA Medical Center.
His most recent books include: Mindfulness: Living Through Challenges and Enriching Your Life in this Moment (Wiley-Blackwell); Perspectives on Spirituality and Religion in Psychotherapy (PR Press); Building Competence in Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (Routledge); and Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy for PTSD (Wiley-Blackwell). Dr. Sears is lead author of Mindfulness in Clinical Practice (PR Press) and Consultation Skills for Mental Health Professionals (Wiley).
Dr. Sears is a fifth degree black belt in Ninjutsu, and once served as a personal protection agent for the Dalai Lama with his teacher, Stephen K. Hayes. He has studied the Eastern Wisdom traditions for over 30 years, receiving ordination in three traditions, and authority to teach Zen koans (inka).
Financial: Richard Sears is core faculty for Union Institute and University. He receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Richard Sears is a member of the American Board of Professional Psychology; American Academy of Clinical Psychology; and American Psychological Association.
Continuing Education Credits
Save time and $10 off the price of other submission methods – purchase & take the CE test online for $19.99 USD per participant. Additional processing fees apply for other submission methods (i.e. mail, fax, etc.). Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-844-8260 for more details.
Listed below are the continuing education credit(s) currently available for this non-interactive self-study package. Please note, your state licensing board dictates whether self study is an acceptable form of continuing education. Please refer to your state rules and regulations.
Certificates of Successful Completion are available for email, download and/or printing from your online account immediately following the successful completion of the post-test/evaluation.
**Materials that are included in this course may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your professions standards.
Addiction Counselors, Counselors, Marriage & Family Therapists, Nurses, Occupational Therapists & Occupational Therapy Assistants, Psychologists, Social Workers, and other Mental Health Professionals
Other Associated Products:
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260,