Now Available For Preorder
- DVD Video - 4+ hours
- Multi-disc DVD recording with electronic manual and instructions.
- JAMES BUTLER, M.ED.
- PESI Inc.
- 2/28/2018 - Available Now for Pre-Order
- CE Available:
- Yes, See CE credit tab for complete continuing education details
- Product Code:
- Implement easy to use, tactile-rich and sensory focused ways teach mindfulness to kids.
- Choose 5 ways mindfulness helps foster social and emotional learning.
- Compile tactile and kid-friendly mindfulness strategies to build inner-confidence.
- Communicate the benefits of mindfulness on rewiring the brain and how to best teach brain science to kids.
- Devise ways to “get curious, not furious” with students by becoming more aware of root causes of behavior.
- Develop 10 simple strategies to implement during transitions such as home to school, and class to class.
- Determine 5 ways to support self-care for teachers.
- Design a 5-step plan to create a mindful school community.
- Basic Neuroscience for Kids
- Tame the amygdala for emotional regulation
- Feed the hippocampus for enhanced learning
- Exercise the prefrontal cortex for responsiveness
- Teach neuroplasticity in an understandable manner
- Classroom Implementation
- Introduce the concept of mindfulness to students on day 1
- Achieve buy-in from skeptics of mindfulness
- Best times to implement during the day
- Ideal amount of time for daily practice in your classroom
- Tips for successful practice that meets the needs of your class and your teaching style
- 10 simple strategies to use during transitions
- Experiential Activities
- The 5 senses - paying attention on purpose
- Responding vs reacting
- Self-compassion and compassion for others
- Hands-on - Make Mindfulness Happen
- Create a “Mindfulness Zone” in your classroom
- Books and technology options for your school
- Curriculum with step-by-step mindfulness activities for an entire school year
- Create a Mindful School Community
- 5-step plan that focuses on students, teachers, parents, and community members
- “Get curious, not furious” - mindfulness practices as alternatives to punitive consequences
- Strategies to incorporate into homework, mealtime and bedtime
- Collaborate with community organizations
- Create a communication tool to be shared with staff, families & community
- Create a sustainable model
JAMES BUTLER, M.ED.
James Butler, M.Ed., is the Mindfulness Specialist for the Austin Independent School District (TX). Working in the Social and Emotional Learning Department, James has helped establish mindfulness in over 100 AISD schools. He has been leading mindfulness in classrooms from Pre-K through 12th grade, presenting workshops for teachers of all levels, sharing with parents/guardians, integrating mindfulness into high school athletics, and beginning programs where schools use mindfulness as a substitute for detention/suspension. In 2014, James was named as the Austin Independent School District Teacher of the Year. In 2015, he developed a pilot program for mindfulness in elementary schools. James turned that pilot program into a curriculum titled Mindful Classrooms: 5 Minute Daily Practices to Empower Teachers and Students that is now being used in 500 classrooms and camps in TX, OH, DE, MT, and Dubai. He also recently wrote a children’s book titled Mindfulness Is that aligns with the curriculum.
Financial: James Butler is the founder and author of Mindful Classrooms. He receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: James Butler has no relevant non-financial relationship to disclose.
Continuing Education Credits
CE Information Coming Soon
Continuing education credit information is coming soon for this self-study package.
CEs may be available for select professions, as listed in the target audience. Hours will be dependent on the actual recording time. Please check with your state licensing board or organization for specific requirements.
There may be an additional fee for CE certificates. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-844-8260 for more details.
**Materials that are included in this course may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your professions standards.
Teachers, Administrators, Psychologists, Counselors, Social Workers, Marriage and Family, Therapists, Speech-Language Pathologists, Occupational Therapists, Paraprofessionals
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260,