Now Available For Preorder
This item is expected to ship 4-6 weeks after the event on May 8, 2020.
- Audio CD - 2-4 hours Instructions
- Multi-disc audio recording with electronic manual and instructions.
- MELISSA WESTENDORF, JD, PH.D.
- PESI Inc.
- 5/8/2020 - Available Now for Pre-Order
- CE Available:
- Yes, See CE credit tab for complete continuing education details
- Product Code:
- Articulate the possible impacts of technology overuse on the cognitive development of children.
- Implement techniques to assess technology overuse by a child and the issues that it may be causing.
- Determine the how to approach sessions with children involving autism, ADHD, and Anxiety.
How to Know if a Child’s Technology Use is a Problem
The Four Areas Impacted – And Strategies to Deal with Them
- Technology and a Child’s Brain
- Cognitive Processes Impacted by Heavy Technology Use
- Impulse Control, Attention, Focus, Organization
- Assessing Technology Overuse
- The Argument of Overuse versus Addiction
- What is the “Technology Use Continuum” (TUC) and How to Use It
- Loss of Interest in hobbies
- School Performance
- Withdrawal from Family Interactions
- Lack of Focus
- Lack of Exercise
- Lack of Time Spent Outside/Vitamin D
- Sleep Problems
- Lack of Emotional Development
- Impact on Interactions with Peers
- Understanding Social Cues
- Digital Safety
- Social Media
Clinical Solutions and Strategies
- Suicidal Ideation
- Violent Behavior
- Online Predators
Legal Issues to Consider
- Questions to Ask in Session
- What is the Root Cause for the Initial Appointment?
- Is Technology THE Problem or Only Part of the Problem
- What are the Parent’s Goals for Working with a Clinician?
- Ongoing Therapy or Treatment Plans
- Providing Parenting Guidance and Solutions
MELISSA WESTENDORF, JD, PH.D.
Melissa Westendorf, J.D., Ph.D., is a clinical and forensic psychologist and founder of the Technology Wellness Center. As a clinician, she has provided therapy to adults and adolescents in the community and within the correctional setting. Dr. Westendorf’s forensic practice is dedicated to assessing adults and youth in either the criminal justice system or in civil matters. As a technology wellness expert, she is dedicated to assisting parents, children, adolescents, and adults on understanding the complexities of technology use and the impact on our brains, emotions, and interpersonal relationships. Dr. Westendorf’s legal training coupled with her clinical background enables her to work with individuals who are experiencing the legal ramifications of technology use.
As a proactive psychologist and educator, Dr. Westendorf is a keynote speaker at academic institutions, parent organizations, businesses and community groups, offering preventative tools and resources that educate others on how to manage technology use in a healthy manner. She is the co-author of Unplug! Raising Kids in a Technology Addicted World. She has served on the Committee for Legal Issues for the American Psychological Association and on the Psychology Examining Board for the state of Wisconsin. Dr. Westendorf has been appointed as an expert in high profile legal cases, featuring the psychological ramifications of technology use. Her expertise has been relied upon in a wide variety of articles, podcasts, radio segments, and television programming. She has been featured on NPR (National Public Radio), Wisconsin Public Radio, and ABC’s 20/20. She is a monthly contributor to The Morning Blend.
Financial: Melissa Westendorf is a founder of the Technology Wellness Center. She is in private practice. Dr. Westendorf receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Melissa Westendorf is a member of the American Psychological Association.
Continuing Education Credits
CE Information Coming Soon
Continuing education credit information is coming soon for this non-interactive self-study package.
CEs may be available for select professions, as listed in the target audience. Hours will be dependent on the actual recording time. Please check with your state licensing board or organization for specific requirements.
There may be an additional fee for CE certificates. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-844-8260 for more details.
**Materials that are included in this course may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your professions standards.
- Social Workers
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- School Psychologists
- School Administrators
- Other Helping Professionals Who Work with Children
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.