Now Available For Preorder
This item is expected to ship 4-6 weeks after the event on October 11, 2019.
- Audio CD - 4+ hours Instructions
- Multi-disc audio recording with electronic manual and instructions.
- CLYDE BOISTON, PT, OCS, CMF
- PESI Rehab
- 10/11/2019 - Available Now for Pre-Order
- CE Available:
- Yes, See CE credit tab for complete continuing education details
- Product Code:
- Define the mind-body connection and explain how mindful awareness practices can improve both clinical effectiveness and personal well-being.
- Articulate what recent scientific research has discovered which validates the use of mindfulness in therapy.
- Discuss the concept of neuroplasticity and discover how mindfulness meditation can change the structure and function of the brain in positive ways.
- Identify 3 components of burnout suffered by healthcare professionals and articulate why the rates of each are significantly higher than the general working population.
- Demonstrate the connection between healthcare provider burnout and the resultant decrease in quality of patient care and clinician effectiveness.
- Discover techniques to improve your own mind-body awareness and use this as a resource in designing more effective interventions in your patient’s treatment plan.
- Develop mindful speaking and listening strategies that will help you become more actively engaged with your patients and improve their clinical outcomes.
- Design a plan to incorporate both formal meditation practice and informal mindfulness activities into your daily life after the course concludes.
MASTER THE CORE SKILLS OF MINDFULNESS
Research and Treatment Concepts
Professional Burnout and How to Avoid It
- How mindfulness can benefit you
- Current state of research on mindfulness
- Neuroscience and mindfulness: how we can retrain our brain to be more resilient and compassionate clinicians
- Demystifying meditation – what it can and cannot do
- Experiential exercise: mindful breathing techniques
Techniques of Informal Mindfulness Practices
- How mindfulness can help ward off the symptoms of burnout:
- Emotional exhaustion
- Low sense of personal accomplishment
- Maslach Burnout Inventory (MBI)
- Three core skills of mindfulness every therapist should have
- Experiential exercise: STOP and RAIN practices
MINDFULNESS STRATEGIES TO IMPROVE OUTCOMES
Mindfulness for Chronic Pain
- Mindfulness vs. mindlessness
- Findings from the ‘Harvard Study’
- Telephone meditation
- Shower meditation
- Driving meditation
- Experiential exercise: eating meditation
- Connecting formal and informal mindfulness practices
- Experiential exercise: walking meditation
Mindfulness for Aging and Death
- Cultivate awareness of our physical bodies
- Exercise infused with mindfulness
- Experiential exercise: mindful movement
- Jon Kabat Zinn and MBSR – “Leaning In” to touch the pain
- Experiential exercise: body scan meditation
Mindfulness for Better Assessment and Treatment
- Understand impermanence
- Help your patients make peace with the “human condition”
- The unique dilemma of hospice care partners
- Strategies for mindful aging
- Experiential exercise: lighting rounds
MINDFULNESS STRATEGIES TO COMBAT STRESS AND BURNOUT
How to Start Your Own Personal Practice
- Key to improving patient-therapist relations: incorporate relational mindfulness strategies
- Mindful speaking and listening
- Authentic, truthful speech
- Deep listening with full attention (80/20 rule)
- Experiential exercise: introducing the dyad
Create a Healthy Work-Life Balance
- Everything you need to know about sitting meditation
- Overcoming the obstacles to formal meditation practice
- Essentials for nurturing your own mindfulness practices
- The synergistic relationship between formal and informal mindfulness practice
- The importance of consistency, patience and forgiveness
- Support for your practice after today
- Resources in your community
- Recommended reading
Take Home Lessons for Immediate Application
- The 8-role circle for conscious goal setting
- How to look within – heart-body-mind triad
- The importance of self-nurturing
- Find greater emotional stability
- Cultivate more acceptance, tolerance, and compassion
- Learn how to use vulnerability and sensitivity as your greatest strengths
- Become a better listener by truly “hearing” your patients
- Connect with the positive qualities of your patients
- Become less reactive by reframing your perceptions
- Accept all criticism as opportunities for learning
CLYDE BOISTON, PT, OCS, CMF
Clyde Boiston, PT, OCS, CMF, is a licensed physical therapist with over 20 years of clinical experience who has worked in multiple therapy settings including acute care, outpatient orthopedics and home health. In addition to his continuing clinical work as a PT, he and his wife own and operate Bel Wellness, a mind-body wellness studio in Riverside, CA which offers both private sessions and group classes in mindful movement, yoga, Pilates, Mindfulness, Tai Chi, and meditation.
Mr. Boiston is a mindfulness teacher and meditation instructor who presents retreats, workshops, and mindful living classes to both corporate and healthcare employers as well as the general community. His clients include Kaiser Permanente, Morgan Stanley Wealth Management, UC Riverside, and the Riverside County Office on Aging. He trained through UCLA’s Mindful Awareness Research Center (MARC) which is part of the university medical school’s Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior. He completed their yearlong Intensive Practice Program (IPP) in 2015 and received their Certification as a Mindfulness Facilitator (CMF) in 2017. He graduated with a BS in PT from California State University Long Beach in 1997 and has been Board Certified as an Orthopedic Clinical Specialist (OCS) since 2004.
Financial: Clyde Boiston is the owner of Be Everything in Life. He has an employment relationship with Kaiser Permanente Home Health. Mr. Boiston receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Clyde Boiston has no relevant non-financial relationship to disclose.
Continuing Education Credits
CE Information Coming Soon
Continuing education credit information is coming soon for this non-interactive self-study package.
CEs may be available for select professions, as listed in the target audience. Hours will be dependent on the actual recording time. Please check with your state licensing board or organization for specific requirements.
There may be an additional fee for CE certificates. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-844-8260 for more details.
**Materials that are included in this course may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your professions standards.
- Physical Therapists
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Occupational Therapists
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Speech-Language Pathologists
- Nurse Practitioners
- Case Managers
- Healthcare Administrators
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.